Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Embossing Folder Storage


My goal was to make a storage container that would not only contain my embossing folders but also be very easy to work from.  I also wanted each folder to have a sample / index of each design.  My first thought was to simply purchase some inexpensive coupon holders and sandwich them into empty book covers.  I still believe that would have been a very wise  idea.  I recommend that.
I did not feel like going shopping at the time, and began to construct my own accordion files. Seriously - way too much time !  But I like them so all is good.   These are the one that I made.
I used a children's board book which  had a curved shape to it. it's just what was handy.  straight would have been nicer I think.   I covered it with some engineering book text.
They still need a closure of some kind then they will be finished.    I have several closure ideas but have not made my final choice.

I used some heavy index paper to build the pockets - (as heavy as good quality manilla folders). 
I have about 20 pockets in each and when I am using the folders it sits open nicely for easy access.
I decided an edging of book text would give them even more study edges and add to the looks.
I glued a bottom into place as well.  Not an easy task but it did work.


Also I made samples of each folder design - leaving some blank space at the bottom so the samples are about 1/2 inch taller than the folder and works as an index.

The samples are not attached.  They simply slide in the pocket with the folder, so I can rearrange them as I wish.


Since making mine I have shopped some and found a few commercial ones that could work very well.     This is an example of a nice one I found ata meijer  store i believe  that would work well by only extending the closure strap.   If you are looking to purchase some for this use - - - make sure you look for ones with expandable bottoms.  This one was 4.99 I believe,  and cheaper versions would work as well.   Some of them expand far enough to put 2-4 folders in each pocket.  
Below are some others I found that have plastic dividers.   they would be good for the "works" of a holder but the lids would not close.  If I were using those I would just attach the pockets into a sturdy front and back and make a band style closure.




I hope this sparks some good ideas for you for storing your own supplies.
Happy Crafting
Sunset










2 comments:

  1. So cool!! I love the child books boards! Thanks for all the ideas xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I need one of these. Thanks for sharing the creative idea!

    ReplyDelete